Re: Sheetrock by Rail

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Don Worthy wrote:
"...I didn't think that "sheetrock" was around in the 40s or even
the early 50s. Here in the south, homes were still using the
plastered walls and ceilings. Also, during the 50s many homes and
company buildings were using beautiful "real" wood paneling. So,
I'm wondering "when" did "sheetrock" become a wide spread product??
I have a feeling that it came around in the 60s."

According to this essay on the history of drywall,

http://db.inman.com/inman/content/subscribers/inman/column.cfm?
StoryId=031201AG&columnistid=Gellner

US Gypsum first devloped drywall in 1916. It was used extensively in
buildings at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair, but was not used
extensively until World War II for government and military buildings,
where it facilitated quick construction by less skilled carpenters.
This carried over to the first postwar suburbs in places like
Levittown on Long Island. I wasn't able to dig up any corroborating
sources with a quick search of the internet (the articles on Levittown
concentrate more on other subjects than the nuts and bolts of the
houses), but the story certainly makes sense. In marketing his
Savannah and Atlanta (ex-FEC) rebuilt DS ventilated boxcars Steve
Funaro has stated that the Savannah and Atlanta served a drywall
plant; can anyone confirm this or the facts in the essay?

Ben Hom