Re: Sheetrock by Rail

proto48er

--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

Missouri Pacific was one railroad that converted a number of 53'-6"
flat cars by adding bulkheads for the transport of plasterboard. I
believe plasterboard and sheet rock are two names for the same
product.

More specifically in 1955 the I-GN converted 14 flat cars in the
8500-8599 series for plasterboard service. Five more cars in this
series were converted by MoPac circa 1960 to bring the total of
converted cars to 19. The ORER lists the individual car numbers in
notes. I've seen photos of other cars during the 1950s that were
similarly converted.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Ed - The sheetrock quarry and facility was (and is) located at
Dittlinger, texas, just south of New Braunfels, on the I-GN. A few
years ago, they were still making wallboard.

A.T. Kott