From: timboconnor@comcast.net
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, 18 April, 2007 13:59
Subject: Re: [STMFC] "Longitudinal" hopper

Could these be the prototype in question?

# Ga-168 Hopper Cars Series 76700-76999 built 1969 longitudinal
hoppers
# Ga-170 Hopper Cars Series 64025-64038 built 1969 copper
concentrate service

Milwaukee also tried the wind resistance idea -- they built
hoppers designed
with a top that was mechanically closed as the train slowly
rolled. The cars had
these big 'arms' sticking up IIRC.

Tim

From: "Russ Strodtz" <sheridan@rrwebhost.com>
> Tim,
>
> Yes it does but the AT&SF seemed to be full of
> these oddball ideas. If you take a three bay
> GA-122, remove the hoppers and replace with
> lengthwise doors and build up or borrow flat car
> ends, that model on e-bay is what you are going
> to end up with.
>
> Somewhere I have photos of their attempt to reduce
> the wind resistance of modern coal hoppers by
> putting bonnets over the open end areas. The test
> process even included a locomotive with a boom
> sticking out about 30' forwards to put wind
> measurement instruments.
>
> The purpose built 1963 B-L-H cars are odd enough
> in themselves. I don't know what their center of
> gravity was but it must have been rather high.
>
> Russ Strodtz

IMO!

> Tim O'Connor

Yahoo! Groups Links