Re: Backdating Mather Proto PH&D

red_gate_rover

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

More to the point, the years during which various RRs leased cars from
Mather varied, and most of Mather's leased box cars weren't built (or
rebuilt from stock cars) until ca. 1931-'32. The PH&D did, however,
lease 400 40'4" IL box cars from Mather beginning in the late 1920s.
That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm not aware of any photos
showing the PH&D's Mather box cars ca. 1929, so there's no way to know
whether the lettering was the same as the '40s/'50s vintage lettering
applied to the models.
Thanks for the reply. This information at least allows plausibility
to simply replacing the brakes and data, at least until such time as
pictures surface. For my purposes that's good enough. However there
is a suggestions on the RPI site that these cars were painted with a
tan paint and not red. Anyone know more? -Jim Pasquill