Re: Sheetrock by Rail

CJ Riley

I have been avoiding adding to the clutter, but I can no longer resist. As a
young architect in Pittsburgh in the '60s, I was often at odds with contractors
and suppliers who wanted to provide skim coat plaster, a thin coating of
plaster over 4x8 drywakll sheets. This eliminated a lot of joint finishing and
was normally applied with a swirley "sand finish" so it would look "just like
plaster" but more economical. I always recoiled at the horrible swirely finish
that was standard in residential constuction then. It was even common to swirl
a pattern around the ceiling fixtures. Double ugh!!

CJ Riley

--- oandle <oandle@yahoo.com> wrote:

I own a house near Akron, Ohio, and the interior was finished in
exactly the same way as Tim descibes below. The house was built in 1943.
Bob Weston

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "tbarney2004" <tbarney@...> wrote:

I can say that it was available in at least some form in the 50's.
18" wide sheets of 1/2" thick gypsum board. Mostly paper backed,
This was finished with a hardshell skim coat of plaster (
So I'm wondering if it was a regional thing in the northeast, or of
this would have been a nationwide product being shuttled around in
a myriad of otherwise unremarkable boxcars?

Tim Barney

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Don Worthy <don_worthy@> wrote:

Hey fellows, I didn't think that "sheetrock" was around in the 40s
or even the early 50s. > > Don Worthy

http://mail.yahoo.com