Re: PFE 12, R-30-2-13 / hooks on side sill

Bill Kelly

Guy,
The can hanging on SP 5 is way to clean to be used for oil.
I got the name from a retired D&RGW engineer. Later the name was
confirmed by Fred Picker in his book _Railroading in Texas_. He
says:"...A device sometimes seen was the Keeley can, a water container to
be wired in dripping position over a hot axle bearing." he went on to say
" I remember the Keeley can because my father was said to have enrolled
for a course at the Keeley Institute in Indiana, a place well-known for
the 'water cure'." The can used the same idea as the small valves and
hoses over each journal on Vanderbuilt tenders. I have never seen
anything "official" about the use of water but I would think that the
water was just for cooling because the crew carried oil and tools for
repacking bearings.

Later,
Bill
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!