Re: Keeley cans (hooks on side sill)

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Bill,

I don't doubt that you and Guy are correct, but I can't
imagine that a can of water hung over a journal would have
any measurable effect on the temperature of the bearing.
I mean, a bearing can be hot enough to melt solid steel --
even 10 gallons of water heated to 212 degrees F would
evaporate before siphoning off all the BTU's represented
by that kind of an overheated journal.

No wonder that the Chinese water torture method of cooling
hot journals did not endure!

At 02:26 PM 2/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
Guy,
The can hanging on SP 5 is way to clean to be used for oil.
I got the name from a retired D&RGW engineer. Later the name was
confirmed by Fred Picker in his book _Railroading in Texas_. He
says:"...A device sometimes seen was the Keeley can, a water container to
be wired in dripping position over a hot axle bearing." he went on to say
" I remember the Keeley can because my father was said to have enrolled
for a course at the Keeley Institute in Indiana, a place well-known for
the 'water cure'." The can used the same idea as the small valves and
hoses over each journal on Vanderbuilt tenders. I have never seen
anything "official" about the use of water but I would think that the
water was just for cooling because the crew carried oil and tools for
repacking bearings.

Later,
Bill

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>