Re: Modeling the World War II period . . .

CJ Riley

Brian,

Put me down as one who has modeled WW@ for 20 years to date. It ewas a bit of
information in "The Durbin Route" (William Price McNeel) of the CO that got me
started. Can you who know the area imagine oil trains up through Cass WV and
interchanging with the WM.

Since the equipment isn't particularly unusual. other than flat cars of tanks
and troop trains with "boxcar coaches", I have concentrated on the cultural
aspects of the era, with scrap drives, War Bond drives, a draft board office,
etc. That material is readily available in many photo books, Life magazine
compilations and the like. Much of this is often available on remainder tables,
library book sales, etc.

As a child of that era, I was fascinated by WW2 history in my teenage years,
and it continues to this day.

CJ Riley

--- Brian Chapman <cornbeltroute@mchsi.com> wrote:

Jason's question about auto box cars in WW2 triggered a question or
two in my mind, maybe some here can help with.

Are there many individuals who model this period? If not, is it partly
because of security at the time suppressing information flow and
photo-taking?

It's such a powerful era historically, I've begun to consider more and
more this period as a modeling subject. But, because it was wartime,
maybe information about traffic flow, car loads and such would prove
highly difficult to research.

I wonder, too, how much the railroad industry changed during those
years, 1942-45. Hard to imagine certain changes -- upgrades -- did not
occur out of a forced necessity. For instance, increased traffic, did
it require signaling improvements on certain routes?

Anyone know of specific resources for modeling the World War II
period? Books, for instance? Is there a Yahoo modeling group focused
on these years?

Thank you much,

-Brian

Brian Chapman