Re: PFE 12, R-30-2-13 / hooks on side sill

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Guy and Bill,

This is probably getting way off-topic, but the Keeley Institute (source of the Keeley Cure Bill
mentioned) was a well known sanitarium around the turn of the century. It was (IIRC) located in Denver,
though apparently there were others from Bill's reference to Indiana. The ad mentioned the Denver place
being the finest Keeley Institute in the country, or some such puffery. They specialized in curing
various addictions. The ad I saw some years ago mentions tobacco, alcohol and drugs (probably opiates and
cocaine). I don't exactly know what their "cure" involved, but various water treatments were still
popular at that time. I doubt that their success rate was very high, but that would probably have been
blamed hereditary moral degeneracy.

I saw the ad in some railroad publication, maybe the book on Denver streetcars years ago. (Mandatory
train content).

Now back to freight cars.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Bill Kelly wrote:

The can hanging on SP 5 is way to clean to be used for oil.
I got the name from a retired D&RGW engineer. Later the name was
confirmed by Fred Picker in his book _Railroading in Texas_. He
says:"...A device sometimes seen was the Keeley can, a water container to
be wired in dripping position over a hot axle bearing." he went on to say
" I remember the Keeley can because my father was said to have enrolled
for a course at the Keeley Institute in Indiana, a place well-known for
the 'water cure'...."