Re: BX 100 - odd car found at Bellingham, WA

destron@...

Tony Thompson wrote:
Could be a scale test car. The total weight, if accurate, of
184,200 pounds, is very high and would likely reflect considerable
(scrap?) steel inside the concrete. That volume of concrete alone would
NOT weigh that much. If it is just a capacity, it just reflects the
trucks.
Well. It was either 134 or 184 - couldn't make it out exactly.

I did mention the scale test car idea to my friend, but he thought that
wouldn't be likely.

I also thought of it being an idler car for car ferries, though
the ballasting with concrete seems extreme for that application.
What are those for?

There was, beside it, a fishbelly flat with a build date of (IIRC - photo
is too dark to make out) 1962. Perhaps that might add a clue to what this
was?

Frank Valoczy