Re: Freight Conductor's Train Book

Larry Fink

Thanks to those who responded with the answer "loads-empties-
tonnage" to my question. I uploaded an Excel spreadsheet of the
entries in the Union Pacific Conductor's Train Book to the Files
section (DeBoieConductorBook.xls). Twelve trains are listed for 1947-
1951 between Huntington - LaGrande - Reith, but complete wheel
reports are only listed for three (1947-1949). One other train has a
partial list.
Of the three complete reports, X3596 (2-8-8-0) is an eastbound
with mostly fruit reefers. X3522 (2-8-8-0) is a westbound with
mostly coal, and X1451 (F3A phase III)is eastbound with about 50%
empties and 30% loaded reefers. Only 10 cars are listed for one of
the trains X1550 (F3A phase IV), which I found on a switchlist and a
train order rather than the Conductor's book.
Tim Gilbert suggested that this book may have been a copy the
Conductor made for his personal use. That might explain why the
record is incomplete and there are so few trains over the time span.
Still, I'll take what I can get.
Those STMFC members interested in consists, or interested in
modeling the UP in the late 1940's will especially value the data.
Don't hesitate to contact me off-line if you find questionable
entries that may be due to my typographical error or the Conductor's
penmanship. I'd also be interested in your impressions and insight
about the consist - either to the group or off-line. One thing I
noticed is steam helping diesels, diesels helping diesels, and
diesels helping steam.

Larry Fink
Renton, Washington

--- In STMFC@..., Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...> wrote:

finkfam98055 wrote:

I acquired a U. P. Conductor's Train Book from Eastern Oregon with
entries near the 1948 era I'm modeling. Does anyone know what the
three-number sequence in the Remarks space represents? I suspect
it
has something to do with train tonnage. Examples are 30-20-2688
or 55-
30-4818. One train has 48-0-2635 = 47-0-2599.