Re: Red Caboose "U.S. ARMY" boxcar.

bill_d_goat

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Arnold van Heyst" <mrdata1968@...> wrote:

Sirs,

Is this Red Caboose "U.S. ARMY" boxcar correct?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Caboose-RR-37054-07-HO-X-29-Boxcar-U-S-
ARMY_W0QQitemZ270116485567QQihZ017QQcategoryZ484QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards,
Arnold van Heyst
Netherlands.
Dear Arnold
There were no U.S. Army boxcars (in any reporting marks) in my 1943
ORER. The Transportation Corps herald on the car indicates that such a
car would be post WWII. My guess, subject to correction, is that the
Army, buying boxcars post war would have bought newer cars than X-29s,
which were built in the late '20s to early '30s, most of which had
needed steel plates added at the bottom of the sides due to rust.
IMHO, these cars are not authentic.
Bill Williams