From: finkfam98055
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, 05 May, 2007 20:11
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Freight Conductor's Train Book

Thanks to those who responded with the answer
"loads-empties-
tonnage" to my question. I uploaded an Excel spreadsheet of
the
entries in the Union Pacific Conductor's Train Book to the Files
section (DeBoieConductorBook.xls). Twelve trains are listed for
1947-
1951 between Huntington - LaGrande - Reith, but complete wheel
reports are only listed for three (1947-1949). One other train
has a
partial list.
Of the three complete reports, X3596 (2-8-8-0) is an
eastbound
with mostly fruit reefers. X3522 (2-8-8-0) is a westbound with
mostly coal, and X1451 (F3A phase III)is eastbound with about
50%
empties and 30% loaded reefers. Only 10 cars are listed for one
of
the trains X1550 (F3A phase IV), which I found on a switchlist
and a
train order rather than the Conductor's book.
Tim Gilbert suggested that this book may have been a copy
the
Conductor made for his personal use. That might explain why the
record is incomplete and there are so few trains over the time
span.
Still, I'll take what I can get.
Those STMFC members interested in consists, or interested
in
modeling the UP in the late 1940's will especially value the
data.
Don't hesitate to contact me off-line if you find questionable
entries that may be due to my typographical error or the
Conductor's
penmanship. I'd also be interested in your impressions and
insight
about the consist - either to the group or off-line. One thing
noticed is steam helping diesels, diesels helping diesels, and
diesels helping steam.

Larry Fink
Renton, Washington