sheet metal glare was OOTB Damaged Model Gons

red_gate_rover

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:
Dean, I'm assuming you mean kits tooled to give you beat-up gons out
of the box. The biggest hurdle to overcome is uniformity. This is
fine if you want to run only one model of a given damaged gon, but
implausible when you have a cut of cars showing the exact same
damage.

In a similar vain I've wondered how one can paint a boxcar to reflect
light in varied patterns so that it looks like sheet metal that has
some flex and give to it instead of one solid, perfectly flat piece or
plastic or resin. Are there articles on this that I've missed in my
many years of ignoring freight car modeling? I'd think that one might
experiment with masking and shading with various slightly doctored
colors of the basic car color. -Jim Pasquill