Re: Tank Cars

destron@...

Though I invite the spotlight onto my ignorance with the question...
what does 'frangible' mean in this context? Why would safety valves
made of fragile materials be used in the first place?
"Frangible" here means what it always means. Think of the safety
valve relieving pressure, Frank: the disk breaks. But presumably it
can't leak, short of bursting.
That does make sense. My confusion I think came from picturing one of
these broken by accident and sending the tank's contents spilling all over
the place. I take it this is a rather earlier method of a pressure valve.

Frank Valoczy