Re: Looking for restored FGE reefer in the Pacific northwest?? ex-PM

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Bill Welch kindly refers to the "restored FGE reefer at the [California State Railroad Museum]".

This fine 1924 ice wood reefer 35832 never actually needed "restoring" in the usual sense, and in fact for the most part it never was. It had been kept intact and in good shape, never altered, for many years as an in-house moving storage vehicle by and for Tacoma Ice & Storage (I think I have that right). It was there that the late Fred Stindt found it, and arranged to have it shipped to Sacramento. The SP wouldn't touch it because of its chilled iron wheels, but the BN and WP agreed to bring it south, but only tagging along at the very end behind the cabooses on the various trains involved.

Aside from clean up and new paint and lettering, almost nothing had to be done to prepare the car for exhibition. It is one of my personal favorites.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento