Re: NP '37 AAR Boxcars

oliver

Andy brings up a good point. Wasn't the use of the taller doors due to
the fact that these cars were rebuilt with side sill channel
stiffners? The lower door tracks were flush with this sill and are
very noticable in photos.
cheers
Stefan

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Matt Herson brought up some interesting details about the
15000-17999 series of NP 10' IH 40' boxcars.

I notice that almost all of manufactured HO 10' IH AAR boxcars
utilize pre-war Youngstown doors of the 5/6/5 "Short" style. (The
"short" is my preferred way to differentiate the door's 3 section's
jpoint panel- a short is virtually the same as a regular panel, while
the "medium" and "tall" have splice panels readily discernable from
the doors panels).

These NP cars did use pre-war Youngstown 5/6/5 doors, though the
splice panels on these NP doors were of the "tall" spacing variety.
Fortunately we do have a good 6' 5/6/5T EYD, a door Intermountain
supplies with their "Modified" AAR Boxcar (10'6" IH).

Intermountain also has ladder sprues for 8 rung ladders for 10'0 IH
cars, unfortunately you need two sets to get both side AND end
ladders. The sprue does have some extra short ladders which could be
donors for the missing 8th rung for the IM 7 rung end ladders. (The
end ladders are 7 rung because IM tooled these ladders for the GN 12
panel 10'0 IH 12 panel boxcars. GN used a drop grap for the first step
on the car's ends.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA