Re: Molasses in Tank Cars in the 1950s

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim and Tony:

SP "diamond-s" tanks were frequently seen at the C&H sugar refinery at Crockett, California. It is my understanding that they were restricted to liquid sugar service (from memory here, based on what I remember from Richard Hendrickson's RMJ article on kitbashing one of these cars). Molasses I know nothing about. I wonder if they were used by other SP-served sugar refiners, say Spreckles or Holly? I used to work across the street from Holly Sugar in Santa Ana, but don't remember seeing any of these cars there.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Anthony Thompson wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Those famous SP tank cars with the big diamond S on the dome were in liquid sugar/molasses service.
I didn't know about the molasses part, Tim. Are you sure?

Publishers of books on railroad history