molasses

ed_mines

Molasses is a by product of sugar manufacture and was used for animal
feed and to manufacture ethanol (grain alcohol).

Although it's used in cookies which are tolerable apparently refined
white sugar tastes much better. I had a friend who grew up in Hungry
during WWII where white sugar was unavailable. He hated the taste of
molasses.

I don't know about animal feed but it could definitely be transported
in general service tank cars for the later application where
contamination wouldn't be a problem. Since it doesn't pour too well
("slow as molasses") I think heated tank cars would be prefered.

One caveat, molasses suposedly dissolves rust.

I recall John LaRue has 2 or 3 negatives of STMFCs owned or leased by
molasses companies.

Ed