Re: representing cast steel

jim peters


I'm fascinated with the modeling shown in the photos - and would like to try my hand at the military modeling - are there any sites you would recommend or info you could pass on? OFF LIST OF COARSE

Jim Peters
Coquitlam, BC

From: "Kurt Laughlin" <>
To: <>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] representing cast steel
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:37:39 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: bud9351

Well, OK, my caboose question from a week or so ago was probably
sent to the wrong list, so am trying this "modeling" question. Has
anyone tried to simulate the rough finish of cast steel on styrene?
----- Original Message -----

Yes. There are several ways.

1. At the hobby look for Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Surfacer 1000. These are
primer-surfacer compounds similar to very thick paint. The 500 uses a
coarser filler than the 1000 and gives a correspondingly rougher finish.
Just paint them on the plastic and work it a little bit with the brush
and/or stipple it. If it gets too rough you can smooth it out with liquid
cement or fine sandpaper.

In this photo the gray areas have been covered with Mr Surfacer:

And you can see the effect here:

2. Liquid cement. Paint it on and either leave it or stipple it.

3. Testors or Squadron plastic putty thinned with liquid cement. Paint it
on and either leave it or stipple it.

The blue areas are thinned putty:



Windows Live Hotmail. Now with better security, storage and features.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.