Re: Steel Boxcar Ends Happened...When?

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

The earliest corrugated steel end I have seen was on an experimental all-steel box car built by AC&F for NYC in 1910. It had 7-7 inverse corrugations as I recall - I can't find the builder's photo at the moment. The earliest use of outward corrugations was on 27 cars of a 1,000-car delivery of Friso box cars in 1912, 7-8 ends. By 1914 many roads were ordering them including UP (outward) and DL&W (inward). - Al Westerfield

----- Original Message -----
From: benjaminfrank_hom
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:47 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Steel Boxcar Ends Happened...When?

Shawn Beckert wrote:
"Hmmm.....I was of the impression that steel boxcars - even steel
ends on wood cars - weren't all that common until the mid-1930's
or later. Either the photo date is too early, or steel cars began to
show up much earlier than I realized."

You've fallen victim to another common hobby misconception - the
once concerning "old-time" freight cars which holds that if it's
1920s or earlier, steel cars were few and far between.

Murphy had steel ends available as early as 1912; the first
experimental steel boxcars appeared as early as 1906, and before the
US entry into WWI, PRR (Class X25, 1914) and NYC (Lots 330-B, 337-B -
339-B, and 341-B - 343-B, 1916) were building steel boxcars in
quantity.

While it's true that the roads that first used steel freight cars
tended to be concentrated in the northeast, the quantities built
were enormous. By your "mid-1930s or later" cut-off date, PRR and
NYC would be finished with their initial steel boxcar programs,
producing over 29,000 Class X29 and over 30,000 USRA-design steel
boxcars.

Ben Hom