Re: Truth in Advertising

armprem

I have tried not to get involved in this discussion,but finally had to get involved.Whether we like it or not,we represent a minority of model railroaders.Some will buy a brick as long as it has wheels and couplers.Many modelers have fictitious railroads and enjoy it that way.Lionel has produced millions of "bogus" cars.I am just glad that we have groups such as this to provide help for those of us who wish to model the prototype. Armand Premo---- Original Message -----
From: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@comcast.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:29 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Truth in Advertising

Larry Grubb wrote

It has been my experience that you can make money selling
accurate plastic freight car models.
Yes, but Athearn tooled a one-owner car with only 50 exact
prototype matches that didn't last past the 1950's. Proto has
chosen only multi-owner prototypes with a dozen or more valid
paint schemes for each (and with some serious fudging thrown
in, e.g. the Mather box cars). So you can't say that you took
as big a risk as Athearn did with an unusual prototype car.
Try doing a 50 foot mechanical reefer, and then see if you
can resist putting bogus paint schemes on it.

Tim O'Connor

Yahoo! Groups Links