Re: Muncie & Western boxcar destinations?

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Kurt Laughlin" "The purpose of the MWR cars was to carry Mason jars from Muncie to
wherever they were consigned and return promptly (empty, if necessary)
to Muncie to be re-loaded."

, but the MWR still had 125 XMs in 1961, when I imagine the majority of the market was home canning.

If they were XM box cars then they could not have been for "return promptly (empty, if necessary) to Muncie to be re-loaded." Any railroad could have reloaded them as long as the direction was towards Indiana. I wonder how many MWR cars actually could be found on the MWR.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478