Re: Santa Fe & PFE's-Erie Citrus Traffic

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

I said:
. . . I know of no one who claimed that Erie carried most of the perishables east of Chicago. . .
although Schuyler Larrabee said:
". . . The ERIE was the largest carrier of perishable traffic from the west via the Chicago gateway to the east coast. . . ."
and then Kurt Laughlin wrote:
I think part of the problem is that some people are arguing "Which RR would be used if the shippers had a choice?" while others are talking about "Which RR carried the most?"
Kurt is right about the differences in discussion, but notice that Schuyler did NOT say the Erie carried MOST of the perishables, only that they were the LARGEST of the several carriers; that can be true even if they only had, say, one-third of the total, as long as no one else carried more than a third. Then NO ONE would carry "most," or over half, of the perishables
It's clear in any case that many people in railroading believed that the Erie provided superior perishable service from Chicago to the New York area. That of course doesn't mean that they necessarily dominated the market. To quote an example from another field, no critic I'm aware of would say that Budweiser makes the finest beer, but their sales are over half of ALL the beer sold in the country. I guess that kind of makes Budweiser the Pennsy of beer <VBG>.

Publishers of books on railroad history