Re: 1947 Great Northern Carloads--Commodities Likely Moving in Reefers

George Simmons

--- In STMFC@..., "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

Some fruits and vegatables could be loaded in stockcars or gons, ie
melons,
tomatoes, and the like.
Growing up, my father a MOP conductor/brakeman wouldn't let me keep
cantaloupe in the ice box/refrigerator saying, "after you have ridden
behind a train load of cantaloupe for 100 miles you never want to smell
the stuff again." His youngest brother, a clerk/switchman, told me
that they carried the cantaloupe in stock cars. One of ideas is to
find some cantaloupe scented candles and place in stock cars to
simulate this.

George Simmons
Dry Prong, LA