Re: RR Slogans

CJ Riley

Do I dare bring up that there were not 13 original states and that there are
still fewer than 50 states due to the existance of several commonwealths.

CJ Riley

--- SUVCWORR@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 6/19/2007 8:45:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atkott@swbell.net writes:

Texas was unique among (the original 48) states in having been a
separate country when it entered the Union in 1845. The effect on
railroads was that Texas kept the title to all its vacant lands in
the name of the state, while all other (of the 48 original) states
came in as territories and all vacant land was owned by the federal
government.

Well not exactly. The original 13 states owned the land within their boards

as did Vermont and Maine.

Speak of which, how many states did the railroads need to deal with during
the time we are addressing on this list? And 48 is not the correct answer.

Rich Orr

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222