Re: Loaded SFRD's in a UP train

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Mike,
Why is that a "Generally accepted belief"?
Russ.

Interesting. For those not aware, the generally accepted belief [ and I don't question it ]
is that UP did not see many loaded SFRD reefers and that the ATSF did not
see many loaded PFE reefers.

I don't think we have to get into beliefs for this. There's a very simple logic. SP furnished its customers with PFE reefers. ATSF furnished SFRD cars. So it was natural that SFRD cars were a small percentage of UP traffic and v.v. But there were interline routes via junctions in CA. SP and SF of course discourage their use and using such routes probably added a day or two to the transit time, but they were used. And then there is the customer receiving cars from both roads and not billing each car via the road that furnished the car.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478