Re: Produce traffic on the : Santa Fe & PFE's-Erie - commodity origins

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Some comments in response to various posting on commodity origins

> That's what you would obviously expect if you look at who served the four
large produce areas of California.

Imperial Valley - SP only
San Joaquin Valley - SP, SF
Salinas Valley - SP only
Sacramento Valley - SP, WP
Do you have numbers for that Malcolm? I couldn't help but notice that
you left out the entire LA region, from the Simi Valley to Riverside and
Santa Ana and southwards to San Diego. This was the source of the
Santa Fe's citrus traffic, for example.

Tim O'

Good question Tim. I did some research on that yesterday. Here are the figures for 1999 from a state of Ca web site for the 11 counties with the largest agricultural production, with the largest perishable crops for each. It' interesting to note that only SP has access to the two counties that are the largest lettuce growing areas in the U.S. I doubt that the proportions were very different in the 50's.

1
Fresno
SP, SF
3559
Grapes
Tomatoes

2
Tulare
SP,SF
3075
Grapes
Oranges
Plums

3
Monterey
SP
2369
Lettuce
Broccoli
Strawberries

4
Kern
SP. SF
2128
Grapes
Citrus

5
Merced
SP,SF
1534
Tomatoes

6
San Joaquin
SP, SF. WP
1352
Grapes
Tomatoes
Cherries

7
San Diego
SF, ?SP
1242
A vocados

8
Stanislaus
SP, SF
1210
Tomatoes

9
R iverside
SP, SF, UP
1197
Table Grapes
Lemons

10
Ventura
SP
1059
Strawberries
Lemons
Celery
Oranges
11
Imperial
SP
1045
Lettuce
Carrots

Excludes: P oultry M ilk Cattle & Calves , Almonds C otton & P rocessed C ottonseed C hickens

> Grapes were primarily produced in Northern and Central California. This is the heart of PFE territory.

Looks to me like SF had equal access for table grapes.

> Cabbage, celery, lettuce and onions are primarily southern Califronia and Texas products an area served primarily by the SFRD.

Dead wrong on lettuce, which I believe was the largest crop.

> Bananas? The IC whips everyone with almost 30,000 loads, but those
eem to be going to the PRR, not the ERIE to move east .

IC bananas were from New Orleans to the midwest. Maybe PRR took them to Indianapolis.

Bananas for the east coast came through Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York and were distributed from there as far west as Detroit.

> Most if not all of the products where the Erie exceeded the car loads handled by the PRR originiate primarily in areas of the west served by the PFE. While the products where the PRR dominates originate in areas served by the SFRD or both the SFRD and PFE.

Look at the above tale and tell me where SF was dominant.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478