Re: Santa Fe & PFE's-Erie Citrus Traffic

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Anthony Thompson" Malcolm Laughlin wrote:
It's not cynicism. It' was a well known fact that railroad freight
salesmen used their entertainment budgets to buy traffic. Salesment
for the south Shore were reputed to have the largest expense account
in the industry.
I didn't accuse you of cynicism because of the attempts to BUY
traffic; I meant instead your apparent belief that it was very effective.

It was an industry practice for freight salesmen to entertain industrial traffic managers, but I don't know how effective it was in general. What I do know for a fact is that there was otherwise unexplainable traffic ( not including deliberate delay) routed western road/CSS&SB/NYC. It was widely believed that the South shore salesmen had big expense accounts, and NYC salesmen believed that was the reason that the South Shore was included in the route.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478