Re: sewer pipes

CJ Riley

Train Shed Cyc No 36 (1919) includes loading diagrans for cast iron, wrought
iron and concrete pipes in flats and gons. I'm sure Ive seen clay pipes in both
gons and box cars.

CJ Riley

--- rrfaned@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 6/28/2007 2:53:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ed_mines@yahoo.com writes:

Anyone familiar with clay sewer pipes in the '40s? How about cast iron
sewer pipes?

Clay was used for sanitary sewers. Cast iron pipe was typically used for
transmission of water.

What were the most common sizes? Colors?
Clay pipe is typically reddish brown. Think earth tone because that's what
it is. Clay pipe comes in many sizes. 4, 6, 8,10, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30
and 36 inch. However any size larger than 12 to 15 inches in diameter would

be fairly uncommon.
Cast iron pipe is usually black in color. It is/was available in the same
sizes as clay pipe. 8, 10 and 12 inch diameter pipe is quite common in
municipal water systems. Larger sizes, 24, 30 and 36 inch pipe, is found
more
frequently in water systems than in sanitary sewer collection systems.

Any reason why they couldn't be loaded into gons?

None that I can think of. Clay pipe was typically cast in 4 or 5 foot
lengths while cast iron pipe was cast in 10 foot or greater lengths.

Ed

Ed Dabler, P.E.

Got a little couch potato?