Tim O'

From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...>

I recently sprayed a styrene wooden grain elevator barn red. I was going
to give it a wash of diluted black paint. Then I had the idea of
experimenting with colored pencils. I went down to the art store and
bought three high-quality reddish brown pencils, plus a medium gray. I
randomly worked the individual boards with the pencils, plus some
smudging and the black wash. The result was quite realistic to my eye
and turned a nice, but unspectacular, structure into something I'm quite
proud of.

So now I'm thinking that a similar technique could easily be used on
wooden freight cars. It seems a natural technique for adding color
variation over a base coat. I think this would look especially good on
yellow or orange refrigerator cars, where replacement of boards added
quite a bit of variation (see Tony's book).

Any takers?