From: golden1014 <golden1014@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:12 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: The S-CL Modeler #1

Hi Gordon,

My advice to you would be to keep trying. I first proposed an SCL
Modeler a year ago and the idea went down in flames. FWIW, I think a
Southern Modeler would be a terrific idea. There's so much to cover,
and with a guy like Bob Harpe in your camp you'll have an instant
success.

In the editorial in SCLM #1, you'll recall I mentioned that Al
Buchan--the current PRR T&HS pres and TKM publisher--got us all set
up. Al is a great ambassador for the hobby and he beleives like I do
that "a high tide raises all boats". In other words, what's good for
the SCL-M is good for the PRR T&HS and so on, and also prototype
modeling in general. B&O HS is already using the TKM format, and I
understand another HS in the northeast is considering something
using the format as well. Talk to Al and get his thoughts, then poll
other guys you trust, build a vision, get buy-in, and execute.

My apologies, Gentlemen, for the off-topic post.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

--- In STMFC@..., "Milepost 131" <mp131@...> wrote:

John,

Looks great!

I'm the "bull in a china shop" sort of guy. I've been "trying" to
get the
SRHA (Southern Railway Historical Association) to explore an
electronic
magazine for the members who model. Some of the "controlling
folks" want to
make money and not under-cut the SRHA archives etc. I've
just "challenged
model members to join me in an effort to do it without the support
of "the
powers that be".

I've volunteered to edit any effort they want to try. I'm a bit
knowledgeable and can produce PDF format docs. I noted that you
stated that
"you're a knock-off of the TKM." Who did you contact for
permission to copy
their effort? I learned a long time ago that inventing wheels
might be fun
but spinning wheels is not the best way sometimes.

Thanks for your "kick in the pants" and your help. If we get
something off
the ground you'll be the first to know.

Good luck on your efforts!

Gordon Andrews