From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On
Behalf Of timboconnor@...
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 2:49 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: pencil weathering

Garth

Not just wooden freight cars. I use pencils to simulate the rubbing
of radial bands on tank cars, to highlight rivets on any car, to shade
or add rust or grime to door hardware, ladder rungs, walkways, etc.
Artist's pencils are pigment based so this is just another way of
depositing pigments, the other ways include spraying, wet brush,
or dry brush. And of course, there's no better way to add chalk marks
than an artist's pencil.

Tim O'

From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...
<mailto:ggg9y%40virginia.edu> >

I recently sprayed a styrene wooden grain elevator barn
red. I was going
to give it a wash of diluted black paint. Then I had the idea of
experimenting with colored pencils. I went down to the art
store and
bought three high-quality reddish brown pencils, plus a
medium gray. I
randomly worked the individual boards with the pencils, plus some
smudging and the black wash. The result was quite realistic
to my eye
and turned a nice, but unspectacular, structure into
something I'm quite
proud of.

So now I'm thinking that a similar technique could easily
be used on
wooden freight cars. It seems a natural technique for adding color
variation over a base coat. I think this would look
especially good on
yellow or orange refrigerator cars, where replacement of
boards added
quite a bit of variation (see Tony's book).

Any takers?