Re: UP and subisderary lines


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Jul 7, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

The OSL was part of UP prior to the 1896 bankruptcy, then was
reacquired by UP in about 1901. The O-W didn't exist until 1911;
before
that, there was an Oregon Railway & Navigation, and an Oregon &
Washington Railroad, which were combined to form O-W.
All these were merged into UP in 1936.
True, but it should be added that all were controlled by the UP before
1936 and in the 1920s through '40s all of their freight cars were
folded into the UP's ORER entries, though with separate reporting
marks. The St. Joseph & Grand Island was apparently more independent -
at least, it's small freight car fleet was listed separately in the
ORERs - but it was also UP-owned, as the address shown for its general
offices was - surprise! - the same as for the UP general offices in
Omaha.

Richard Hendrickson

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.