Type 27 tank cars again

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

I was reviewing the photos in RPC #2 and Kaminski's ACF Tank cars book
tonight and noticed something I hadn't seen before. The cars in the photos
have three different uncoupling levers depending on when they were
constructed. Cars built up through approximately Jan 1931 had carmer type
levers, from 1931 to the late 30's top operated levers were installed, and
starting around 1937 bottom operated levers were installed. I wonder if Ed
has any better data on these changes?

The cars I am modeling came from lots 1629 and 2355 so base on the photos
bottom operated levers are required. I'm wondering if the Carmer type or top
operated lots would have been changed later in life? I'm guessing the answer
is maybe.
Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY