Re: Type 27 tank cars again

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 8, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

I was reviewing the photos in RPC #2 and Kaminski's ACF Tank cars book
tonight and noticed something I hadn't seen before. The cars in the
photos
have three different uncoupling levers depending on when they were
constructed. Cars built up through approximately Jan 1931 had carmer
type
levers, from 1931 to the late 30's top operated levers were
installed, and
starting around 1937 bottom operated levers were installed. I wonder
if Ed
has any better data on these changes?

The cars I am modeling came from lots 1629 and 2355 so base on the
photos
bottom operated levers are required. I'm wondering if the Carmer type
or top
operated lots would have been changed later in life? I'm guessing the
answer
is maybe.
Brian, it would depend on whether their couplers were later replaced
with bottom-operated type Es, in which case bottom-operated rotary
uncoupling mechanisms would have been required. AC&F continued to use
Carmer levers long after most other car owners stopped doing so; in
fact, some railroads that got USRA cars from the feds during WW I
disliked the Carmer levers so much that they replaced them in the 1920s
with top-operated rotary uncouplers.

Richard Hendrickson