Re: Type 27 tank cars again

Jeff Coleman

Just for the record, there were carmer uncoupling levers still in use
in the mid to late 1970's, I pull a few of those pins while switching.
Jeff Coleman

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

On Jul 8, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

I was reviewing the photos in RPC #2 and Kaminski's ACF Tank cars
book
tonight and noticed something I hadn't seen before. The cars in
the
photos
have three different uncoupling levers depending on when they
were
constructed. Cars built up through approximately Jan 1931 had
carmer
type
levers, from 1931 to the late 30's top operated levers were
installed, and
starting around 1937 bottom operated levers were installed. I
wonder
if Ed
has any better data on these changes?

The cars I am modeling came from lots 1629 and 2355 so base on
the
photos
bottom operated levers are required. I'm wondering if the Carmer
type
or top
operated lots would have been changed later in life? I'm
guessing the
answer
is maybe.
Brian, it would depend on whether their couplers were later
replaced
with bottom-operated type Es, in which case bottom-operated rotary
uncoupling mechanisms would have been required. AC&F continued to
use
Carmer levers long after most other car owners stopped doing so; in
fact, some railroads that got USRA cars from the feds during WW I
disliked the Carmer levers so much that they replaced them in the
1920s
with top-operated rotary uncouplers.

Richard Hendrickson