Re: HOME HEATING COAL

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

For what it is worth, during the years that I lived on a farmstead in northern Vermont, we heated the house primarily with anthracite from Pennsylvania (supplemented with gas [propane] and wood). Although this was in the years after rail transport, my understanding at the time was that anthracite had been the primary coal sold for home heating for some decades- thus implying coal at one time being shipped into Vermont in Reading or D&H cars.

I have had a LOT of experience shovelling, laying up, and burning anthracite coal- and it was an acquired skill and art. It lived up to its reputation as being a very hot clean fuel, however, and the daily transport of ashes out to coat the public dirt road in front of the house was in fact always very light duty.

Denny

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD