Re: HOME HEATING COAL

armprem

Gasification plants were still continued burning cheaper soft coal.RutlandTrain #10 brought much coal to Vermont via the NYCinterchange at Norwood,NY.TheD&H brought coal to Center Rutland and Rouses Point,NY.The Central Vermont may have picked up some coal at New London.Does anyone have evidence?Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Laughlin" <mlaughlinnyc@yahoo.com>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:22 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: HOME HEATING COAL

Rather than make responses to all of the posts on this, I'll just summarize my reactions to them.

I believe most of the home heating coal in New England was anthracite, which was preferred because it made less smoke. The closest coal mines to New England were the anthracite mines in the Scranton area. To get bituminous to New England would have been a much longer haul, the nearest being the Clearfield district.

As for marks, originating roads were Erie, DL&W, LV, CNJ, PRR, NYO&W, D&H and RDG, but not B&O. However, since B&O shared it's route to New York with RDG and CNJ, it would not be surprising that their cars would be coming into NE with anthracite. The other highly likely foreign mark from those mines would be NYC.

As for routes and destinations:

- The furthest east junctions of the anthracite roads were Rutland, VT, Mechanicville, NY and Maybrook, NY. That means that all of it had to move on NH, NYC, B&M or RUT, but destinations could be anywhere on CV, MEC, BAR, GT and the short lines.

- Every town in New england would have received anthracite loads as there was a coal dealer in every town of any size - like fuel oil dealers today.

As for that barge coal, it was mostly from bituminous areas, and I believe it went mainly to power plants. It's interesting to note that most of the large power plants in CT and RI and around NYC are on navigable waterways.

One notable exception. When I was a small boy, I would look out of my father's office on the 55th floor of 60 Wall and watch the cars rolling through the CNJ car dumper. Pretty strong evidence of barging of anthracite also.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Yahoo! Groups Links