Re: Limestone for the Steel Industry (was. . . Kline & Culotta's book)

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

All,

In an earlier message, someone mentioned how lucky we are to have the
container gons that were used to transport some of the lime and
dolomite based products. Us B&O modelers are NOT lucky. The 50 foot
B&O class O-27BA gons used by the B&O for container service are not
available and I do not know of a good kitbash candidate. Although
the class number might suggest the car is similar to the USRA gons
offered by Westerfield, the car is 5 ft longer and much different in
apperance. (Hint! Hint! Hint! to kit manufacturers)

Most of the discussion has been from the point of view of operations
at the iron and steel mills. Since I am trying to model the
limestone and dolomite producing end of the supply line my
perspective will be a bit different. It has been established that
the primary tonnage was in raw stone (limestone or dolomite)for blast
furnice and open hearth flux. This is certainly reflected in
production in the Shenandoah Valley. For instance, at Millville, the
largest shipper (US Steel) produced only raw stone, the second
largest shipper (J&L) produced mostly raw stone with some burnt
product. The third plant (Standard Lime and Stone) only produced
processed products which they shipped in boxcars, covered hoppers and
containers. Keep in mind that this company supplied thier products
to a large portion of the industry so even a large number of cars
leaving the plant in eastern West Virginia would result in only one
or two cars, if any, arriving at any given mill.

My question: What was the processed dolomite used for? I think the
primary product was called "Furnace Lime" and was used to line open
hearth furnaces. Is that correct? Also, the plant produced a
couple of magniesium oxide based products called Stayset and Stacrete
which were, I think, used as furnace cement. How was that product
used?

John King