Re: FGEX wood reefers from Accurail kits?

Don Worthy

Hi Greg, yes I'm in HO and the time frame is late 49 to 1953. The Central of Georgia did away with their steam during the summer of 53. That's a sad year for we Central steam guys. I'd bought several Accurail cars along time back thinking that it was closer to certain FGEX cars than they turn out to be. Anyway, I really need to have FGEX cars for my middle Georgia area than any other reefer. Unfortunately, every thing from the ART cars to all PFE stuff can be built or is built in kit, RTR or resin.

I guess that's what had me so "bent out of shape" for many years. I could find information for the bulk of PFE and others but, when I'd ask about Fruit Growers...........man, it has been like I was trying to get information about printing US money.......I've known that the men that could find information needed and deserved to make their expenses back. OR if they gathered the info and had a book printed.........yes, they deserve to make a profit..

But WOW, I can't get over so many years have gone by and we here in the South still can't model or don't have the right to model the one brand of reefer used so heavily here in the South or Eastern states. I mean...can't even find out the measurements for a car.

Anyway, I won't ask about it any more and I sure wish that I could attend one of those big meets.
I would like to invite any one on this list or person of knowledge to come to our "Middle Georgia Railroad Association" club meetings. We meet every 3rd Monday of the month at the "restored" Central of Georgia depot in Gordon, Ga.
WE would LOVE to have ya'll. We'll feed you and show you some good old (now NS) railroading.
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

egmrtn@aol.com wrote:

Don,

I held this message from Saturday over to respnd. I to am working stiff as I think many on this list are. Unfortunately I don't have an extra Kahns car left to send you but I can send you as well as a few others on the list a complete set of information regarding the Kahn's car on CD when I get a minute from my work-a-day world. Do you model in HO Scale? If so this a good starting point for the car regardless if it were FGEX/WFEX/NX cars.

I think to say that information sharing is difficult, I would answer that it is not the case on this and many other lists I belong to. I will not beat this issue to death. I just want modelers to model again... and it seem the ACCURAIL cars are a good starting point to build a fleet of Wood Sheathed car and I can tell you that many modelers on this list?were in my clinic (including Tony) and I feel that everyone had a good time and learned something, albeit it not in competetion with Bill's generous clinic on these very cars the same day. Thanks to the great scheduling of Jeff Alley you could take in Bill's clinic then go to my clinic and translate what you learned into a scale replica. And Denny took the time to help those that were there learn how to best install the ACCURAIL PROTO couple with his hand out as well as data regarding Kahn's provided by John Greedy.

So if you can, we would love to see/meet you there, for at least you could drive down and you don't have to go through the strip searches as I do (I am on some sort of list or at least someone that has the same name as I) and enjoy the offering. We will be doing another "Shake and Take" car in 2008.

Greg Martin