From: Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@shaw.ca>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] CPR Fowler box car end bracing:
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:11:45 -0700

I am in the midst of modifying a few Canadian Hobbycraft fowler boxcars and
was considering modifying then ends which presently have two "Z" section
vertical braces.

As I understand it, while two was common enough, some cars had three and
others four. I am wondering if there is an article or other reference out
there I have somehow missed that attempts to sort out what number series
were which. (Yes, I know the number series present their own issues as many
of the cars were renumbered after construction. I model 1946 - if that
helps). Alternately, perhaps there is a source that notes which of the many
manufacturers, if any, used the various end bracing patterns. (The extra
ribs may all have been rebuilds as the cars aged.)

By the way, it strikes me that these models should be re-run by the
manufacturer - but with a modification from the earlier production. Instead
of using the equal spaced side bracing the original run received, they ought
to use the more correct unequally spaced bracing used on the stock car
models..... A new floor - similar in quality to that used by True Line
Trains on their recent CNR 1937 AAR cars would also be a welcome
improvement.....

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham
who is starting to give up waiting for NERS
Tell us your tech love story in the Summer Lovin Competition for your chance to win laptop loaded with Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows Live OneCare. http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/summerlovin/default.aspx