Re: NMRA convention

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Tim,

GPS for my power? If I can't find my train, then it's time to stop using the layout. My question now is >> does this have interference from the garage opener, portable phones, or CB radio transmissions? The more "stuff" we incorporate, the more we will need 'B' units with everything. Somehow, a GPS unit in a mountain pulling a perishable consist just feels like too much of a stretch. Think I will let the modelers who use GE evolution power deal with this new "hobby advancement". I'll stick with the fishbelly underframes, 5-5-5 ends, and wood sides with roof top brake wheels! What's next, the "talking" caboose repeating the train orders?

Fred Freitas

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Greg,

He said transmitters and ceiling mounted receivers -- that
sounds wireless to me. But it sounds completely impractical.
Where are you going to put a transmitter in a switcher that
is already jammed full of stuff? Or is the transmitter part
of the DCC decoder?

An advantage of track-based systems is they are prototypical,
in that any wheelset can be detected, not just motorized stuff.

Tim O'Connor

At 7/20/2007 06:01 PM Friday, you wrote:

Is this system going to transmit the decoder signals via the track or a wireless application. DCC and signals aren't the best combination because nickle silver and oxygen=oxidation and the spells T_R_O_U_B_L_E for transmisssion of signals.
Greg Martin