Re: Sanding Sealer

Justin Kahn

Dear Ed
Nearly thirty years ago, when I first changed over to O scale and had both larger surfaces to deal with and a greater impetus for better-detail, I tried shellac. It took several years for it to really dry. Never again. The Deft (e.g., "lacquer-based sealer") dries in less than an hour.
JGGK

--- In STMFC@..., "Justin Kahn" <harumd@...> wrote:
As to sealing wood cars, I kept hearing about "lacquer-based sanding
sealer" without anyone suggesting a source
I used to use Scalecoat which worked just fine. It has some kind of
particles in it besides the lacquer. I think it was recommended on
Q'Craft instruction sheets.

I've also seen shellac recommended to seal wood.

Being frugal and having access to chemicals (and being a seat of the
pants chemist) I dissolved Ambroid cement in MEK and used that.

Wood really sucks up both formaulations by capillary action.

Ed

http://newlivehotmail.com