Paint and details of MKT 91501-92000 series boxcars

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some information regarding the as-delivered paint and
details for some Katy 40ft steel boxcars from series MKT 91501-92000.
I haven't had any luck finding photos, hence the laundry list of
questions.

1. Were the roof, ends and underframe painted differently from the
sides of the car?

2. Was the "Be Careful" lettering, located near the side ladders and
grab irons of so many Katy boxcars, part of the original paint for
these cars?

3. What sort of running boards were these cars delivered with?

4. What sort of brake wheels did these cars have?

5. What sort of stirrup steps did these cars have?

6. I have found conflicting information as to when and by whom these
cars were built: by ACF in early 1951 or Mt. Vernon in 1950. Are
either of these correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden