Resin warping

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I have been gathering together a gaggle of kits preparatory to my annual episodic (Quixotic?) summer porch campaign to actually finish a number of resin cars. Because I will have limited access to a lot of usual handy tools, I do go through each kit beforehand and try to complete some basic tasks (i.e.mount scale coupler boxes, truck mounting, semi-scale wheels, etc.). I also try to familiarize myself with any unmet needs in each kit- i.e. A-line stirrups, lead weights, etc. and stock up.

In this process, it also becomes obvious to me that some resin kits come with all sorts of warping, while others in fact never do. Now, I do know now to straighten out the flats (I use hot water), but with more complex castings it otherwise can be a lot of work to be expended for an already-expensive kit. I would gently think that this might have been a matter that should have been taken care of before shipping :-) .

At the moment I am contemplating a fine one piece house car that has one side that is actually concave, bowed in both longitudinally and vertically. and I am not certain as to how to correct this without incurring more damage.

All in all, however, we owe a great debt of gratitude to those supplying us with these fine cars. I love them!

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento