Re: Chalk Color

Malcolm H. Houck

I'm a bit surprised to see so many references to chalk and none to
soapstone. I've seen any number of references in historic railroad rule books, special
instructions or ETTs about making markings with soapstone. It's still easily
obtainable today, in thin stick form, and with retractable holders similar
to utility knives.........from any welding supply shop.

Soapstone will mark on just about any surface (which's why it's referred
marker for welders) and will render all marks in white. Also it's considerably
more durable than most chalks..........but yet marks with the same ease as
chalk.

Mal Houck