Re: Hauling Grapes By Rail (redux)

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

Tony... (and also Richard H)

Thanks for the guidance. This is definitely SP... and I now know where to look!

I have a special fondness for this photo...
My father was born on what he called a "raisin vineyard" in the Central Valley (as differentiated from those growing table or wine grapes), and I spent a summer working at Del Monte Cannery #3 in San Jose, dumping white grapes from lugs into the fruit cocktail line. (NB: I -still- don't eat fruit cocktail...!).

There are some good steam-era Sanborn clips of the CalPack #3 plant, including the SP trackage at:
<http://www.historysanjose.org/cannerylife/through-the-years/1917-1966/cal-pak/plant-number-3.html>

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 17:59 7/26/2007, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Richard Brennan wrote:
I found the image below on Calisphere
<http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt7779q91m>
In the March discussion...
the early steel-framed flat car on the left in the photo was not
identified.
- showing five digits: 78947 This would seem to be a complete number
- circa-1905 most cars were max 5 digits... BUT
- the number does not seem to fit SP or T&NO car numbering?
Richard, you need to study my volume on flat cars, Vol. 3 <g>.
The car is a CS-35A design of SP, one of 500 built in 1903 by Pressed
Steel Car, series 78900-79499. The other identifiable cars also look
like SP/CP cars.