Re: accupaint primer

Greg Martin

Oh MY GOSH...

I would not use any synthetic thinner on ACCUPAINT least of all Acetone (dangerous stuff). From past conversations with Greg Conrad regarding his product it was a very pure form of Acrylic. Jim Six once boasted of using lacquer thinner with this paint and I had a conversation with Greg regarding Jim's statements and he stated that it SHOULD never have done anything but conjeal. We have had the discussion regarding using something other than manufacturers thinners wiuth paints and I have always believed, Why reinvent the wheel??

One recommendation he displayed at the 1994 NMRA convention in Portland was to paint the item and use a hairdrier to "shrink" the finish and it does shrink to fit. SAWEET paint if you could keep the shelf life (I converted mine from plastic bottles to glass) long enough to use it up.

I have had very good results in the past with this now not available paint using distilled water and a couple of drops of Ammonia (which slows the dry time), but that was before they made a specific thinner. I always used a double action Badger airbrush for Acrylics.

Greg Martin

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 4:10 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: accupaint primer

I've used Accupaint some and have success using acetone as a thinner.
I've been told that it's more of an ink than a paint so it matches the
colours in the Accucal decal line. I've not used it on brass so can't
comment on it's durability in that regard but on styrene it worked fine.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "radius158" <gard158@...> wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with Accupaint primer..or other accupaint
colors?

ie does it need to be thinned?

Any other thinner rather than expensive accupaint thinner?

thanks Doug Gardner

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.