Re: Complaint

byronrose@...

Thank you Tom, I'm glad to see that someone on this list is not only
paying attention, but . . . . What was the question again?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:35:55 -0700 "Gail & Tom Madden"
<tgmadden@worldnet.att.net> writes:
The local RPA wrote:

What is the easiest way to model fingerprints on the inside of grab
irons?
Claim your trainmen always wore gloves and forget about it.
Thats a cop-out if I ever heard one. Remind me not to buy any of your
p____r car kits. Oh, that's right, you never made any. Okay, I'll wait
for the tank car underframes.

What size were the knot holes in the decks of USRA flat cars still
in
service in the 40s?
There were not holes in the decks, except those made by knails.
I have photographs that show knot holes. All I want to know is what was
the recommended size of them. Is that too much to ask?

What size were the pivot pins on 1920s era coupler knuckles?
A meaningless question. The pivot pins were not "on" the coupler
knuckles -
they were a separate part. If you're going to be a useful
contributor to
this group you'll have to be more precise.
Let me rephrase that question: What size were the pivot pins used with
1920s era coupler knuckles?

What was the wall thickness of the piping used in the AB brakes
added to
PRR X-29 boxcars in 1948?
Schedule 40 or Schedule 80?
That's a part of my question. If I knew the answer to that I could look
it up in my Funk and Wagnells.

What was the relative strength of Youngstown ends vs Dreadnaught
ends vs
Despatch Shop ends vs Pullman PS-1 ends, with complete structural
analysis?
I'll have to look that up. I believe the testing was done by Mighty
Joe Youngstown.
Tom, I think you made that name up. I'm glad I didn't say Murphy end or
you'd give me some name like Murphy Chowderhead. But thanks for taking
the time to look it up for me. I will be anxiously awaiting your reply.

Where did the pigments come from that were used in making the green
paint
on EJ&E box cars?
Joliet. Or Elgin.
Finally, a real answer. Thank you. But do you have an address? I'd
like to pick some up next time I'm in Joliet for a box car I'm building
from scratch. Or is that scratching to build? I always forget.

How old were the pipe fitters who added the AB brakes to that PRR
X-29 in 1948?

Very young. That job was given to those who had only learned the
first few letters of the alphabet.
I guess you had to have more seniority to work on K brakes.

What RRs box cars were used to ship Firestone tires in the 30s?
Did they blow out then too?

Only if they were inflated. But inflation was very low during the
depression, so it wasn't a problem.
And I suppose there were very few explorers then too. But you didn't
answer the first part of the question.

What was the temperature of the crushed ices used in SFRD reefers
in the 20s? 30s? Were the cars shaken or stirred?
In the 20s it varied - I believe it was a cube function. In 1933
President
Roosevelt devalued the farenheit. From then on ice was able to
adjust its
temperature to the needs of the load.
But this time you didn't answer the third part of the question.

How were the light bulb packed in those GE covered hoppers?
You mean the ones that lit whenever a hatch was lifted?
Yes.

What railroads box cars had the fuzziest wood siding?
The Santa Fe had a one-of reefer that was kind of fluffy. Otherwise,
I can
put you in touch with a fellow who used to be associated with AMB,
who might be able to help you out.
Yeah, like the same way I came in?

Good to be on a list with you again, Byron!
Tom, you can call me BS. And you're welcome.

BS

Mike, this is another one of the posts you can remove from the archives!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.